Eligibility Requirements for Arts Organizations
To be eligible to apply for a Capital Improvements Grant, an arts organization must be based in and serving the communities of Los Angeles County. The following requirements must also be met:
- Be a 501(c)(3) or fiscally sponsored visual and/or performing arts organization
- Have a mission fully dedicated to the arts
- Have active and ongoing programming, activities, and/or direct services performed, exhibited, or provided in LA County
- Have staffing and operational capacity necessary to manage project, with at least three (3) paid full-time staff members for the current fiscal year
- Have been established and operating as a 501(c)(3) or fiscally sponsored organization for at least five (5) consecutive years
- Have an annual operating budget of less than $10 million
- Have a Board of Directors and/or Advisory Council
- Partner with, support, and/or represent communities that have been historically underfunded in the arts
- Have received a minimum of 2 bids/cost estimates to inform budget request for project if under $50,000, or a minimum of 3 to inform request of $50,000 or over
- Project that capital improvements can be implemented in less than 18 months
Ineligible organizations include:
- Organizations whose primary mission is not arts-related (for example: therapeutic and social services, entertainment, healthcare, housing, sports, and living collections). To be eligible, all programming and/or services must be dedicated to the arts
- National and/or statewide arts organizations
- Educational institutions that lead to a degree or diploma
- Municipal or County government agencies and departments
- Regranting organizations
Application Submissions Window: January 19 – June 8, 2023
- Application Opens: Thursday, January 19, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. PST
- Application Closes: Thursday, June 8, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. PST
- Please be mindful of the noon deadline, as we cannot guarantee an extension beyond this time.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until June 8, 2023. We encourage organizations to submit early and not wait until the final deadline.
We understand that some organizations may have more time-sensitive projects, while others may need additional time to gather bids and cost estimates to inform their capital improvements request. Depending on the volume, complexity, and timing of applications received, applicants will hear back from us in either late July or late October.
- Applications submitted by March 8: will be prioritized for notification in late July
- Applications submitted from March 9 – June 8: will likely receive notification in late October, but may hear back in July if submitted earlier in this timeframe
Review Process: March through September 2023
As part of our review process, we may conduct virtual meetings and/or in-person site visits.
Contact Our Team
For questions about your organization’s eligibility to apply for this grant, read through our Eligibility Requirements above before submitting a question.
For technical issues or questions about the application process, read the Questions and Answers section below. If your question is not addressed there, contact our team.
If you are unsure whether your capital improvements project fits into the scope of this grant or have a request that is under $10,000, provide the following in your question to receive guidance on whether to proceed with an application:
- A brief summary (2-3 sentences) of what your project entails
- The grant amount you would like to request from the Perenchio Foundation
- Apply Now